In previous articles, we described how to properly care for the lawn surface, treat it for various diseases and carry out planned restorations. But what if all the recommendations are implemented correctly and the same problems appear again and again? In such cases, cause may be in the area itself, or rather in a poorly organized landscape. And in order to get a beautiful, healthy and problem-free lawn, you have to resort to a major overhaul.
A sports field lawn can be severely damaged by sports activities.
For example, permanently forming pits with stagnant water lead to rotting of the grass, mold, algae. Some people advise to level out such places and constantly sprinkle the soil. In fact, the cause of the problem is a poorly designed drainage system. Water accumulates there because it has nowhere to go. A designer had to provide a drainage system, remove a meter of land, or even more, to make a drainage cushion using sand, gravel and geotextile, to equip the system of underground ditches and a sewage well. But the designer didn’t do it, hence the complications.
Of course, not all areas require such capital geo-construction work, all individually. But it should be understood that there are no impossible tasks and “wrong” landscapes, doomed to eternal puddles and diseases, even if the groundwater flows quite close to the surface. Any complex plot can be turned into a blooming garden. You just have to invest more effort and take advantage of specific knowledge, take into account many factors and approach the matter responsibly.
In what case does a lawn need a work on the mistakes of a negligent designer?
- If water stagnates in certain places all the time or, conversely, the grass is burned out by the sun.
- When, after careful treatment with chemicals, replacing the topsoil and correcting the fertiliser complex, fungal diseases appear again and again in the same places.
- If the turf fails periodically, holes are constantly formed.
- If bald spots appear and the lawn is constantly trampled, the space is not properly organised.
- A catastrophic number of weeds. It can be caused by a generally weak lawn, the use of a cheap mixture of weed seeds or the wrong selection of grasses.
- If the turf fails periodically, holes are constantly formed. This can be caused by soil washing which needs to be fought against.
- If bald spots appear and the lawn is constantly trampled, the space is not properly organised. For example, instead of a parterre lawn, you should have put in a sports grass cover or just made another track.
- A catastrophic number of weeds. It can be caused by a generally weak lawn, the use of a cheap mixture of weed seeds or the wrong selection of grasses that are unable to fight with their neighbours.
It is very important to carry out geoengineering work correctly, prepare the soil and place objects (paths, pergolas, flowerbeds) as conveniently as possible. It is necessary to consider many factors, from the presence of the dog in the house and the habits of the owners, to the type of terrain, soil, even the degree of landscaping of neighboring areas.
Many future landscape and lawn problems in particular can be anticipated and prevented in advance. An experienced planner works in such a way that owners do not have to spend money on repairs and restorations. From the outset, the planner takes into account the specifics of a particular area so that, with proper care, problems do not arise at all. So only entrust your lawn to experienced professionals, which will ultimately save you time, money and nerves.